Saturday, November 25, 2006

Bobcats, deer and cows, oh my!

Originally posted Nov. 25, 2006 9:30 pm

Today was a day of strange sightings. On my way to work, only a couple miles from the house, I see 3 bobcat cubs run across the road. I slowed down and a 4th one almost ran in front of my car. He turned back to hide, so I'm hoping he made it across ok and rejoined his family.

They were adorable!!! Like leopards without tails. I've looked at pics of bobcat cubs and these looked a little different. Their spots were larger and more distinct and their fur was darker..and there were no little tufts on the tops of their ears, but they may grow into that. They honestly looked more like leopard cubs that bobcats, but I know there wouldn't be any leopards in the wild in Nowhere, NC. Ocelots maybe??

There is a Carnivore Preservation Trust outside of Pittsboro, NC which is near where I live and they raise wildcats...I wonder if they're missing any felines...lol. Just seeing them put a huge smile on my face b/c you don't see that every day. It may sound cheesy, but I'll treasure that memory for a long time to come.

Anyway, I got maybe a mile further up the road and saw 7-8 deer right at the edge of the road munching on grass and then about 4-5 more across the street from them doing the same. None of them were trying to hide, or got freaked out by the cars...but I'd never seen so many in the same place before.

Once I got out on the busy road leading into Chapel Hill, it was dusk and getting harder to see. I saw what I swore was a moose crossing the road and standing in my lane, but it turned out to be a cow making a mad dash to freedom...and an almost certain death if she didn't get out of the road. I turned around and went back to get the nearest address so I could notify highway patrol, and she was just standing in the median eating grass....I guess it was greener on the other side of the road. Ok..that was soooo lame, but I couldn't help it.

I'm not sure what the deal was with all the animals in the roadway trying to cheat death, but it was an interesting day. I may call the Preservation Trust just to let them know there's a few cats running wild and maybe they can find and protect them. I couldn't live with myself if I killed one with my car. I'm such a sap and get upset if I accidently step on a caterpillar or smoosh a ladybug....which reminds me...what the hell is the deal with them all trying to move into my house?!?! They're everywhere. They were even in my sister's house...and Hannah's...and Brooke's. I heard it's the sign of a bad winter. We'll see.....

No comments: